protecting your home from electrical shorts and fires

« Back to Home

Recognizing A Faulty Light Switch

Posted on

Indoor lighting plays an essential role in the daily lives of most homeowners. In order for your indoor lights to function properly, they need to be connected to a switch that is fully operational. Light switches can begin to malfunction over time, resulting in serious inconvenience for you and the presence of a safety hazard in your home.

Here are three signs that you can be watching for when trying to determine if you need to address a faulty light switch in your home in the future.

1. Check for a loose toggle.

Most light switches come equipped with a toggle that can be raised or lowered to operate the connected light fixture. The toggle is responsible for opening the electrical current required to power your indoor lighting, so a functional toggle is important.

As your switch receives repeated use, the toggle can begin to come loose. This will result in an inability to properly engage the electrical current connected to your light fixture. Contact an electrical repair service to replace the switch containing the loose toggle so that you can easily operate your indoor light fixtures in the future.

2. Watch for flickering lights.

When you engage the toggle on your light switch, the connected light fixture should instantly turn on. If you notice that the lights are flickering after you switch the toggle to the on position, this could indicate there is a problem with the switch.

Start by checking to ensure that all the bulbs in the fixture are tight. If faulty bulbs are not to blame for the flickering you experience, a loose wire connecting the light switch to the electrical current running through your home might be. Have an electrician examine your switch's wiring to prevent flickering and other problems when operating your indoor light fixtures.

3. Feel for heat in your light switch.

As you try to determine the condition of your light switches, it can be helpful to check the temperature of each switch after it has been in the on position for an extended period of time.

If you notice that the switch becomes overheated as the light fixture remains on, this could be an indication that there is a loose wire in the switch assembly or that the electrical circuit powering your light fixture is overloaded. An experienced electrician will be able to determine why your light switch is getting hot and repair the problem before it becomes a serious safety hazard.

Ensure that your indoor lighting doesn't become a problem by taking the time to learn how you can recognize a faulty light switch in the future.


Share